home > company
> partners > Legalett
Slab on Grade System - Legalett
The foundation is the engineered structural concrete
- It floats on a double layer of rigid polystyrene.
- It rests on a well-drained layer of crushed stone.
- The Slab On Grade design is engineered for frost protection.
The heating system is a network of pipes from a furnace
box that is cast in the slab.
- It distributes the heat from the heating source evenly
throughout the house.
There are no drafts, cold areas or hot spots.
- T he heated slab will typically be a couple of degrees
above the ambient temperature of the room.
- It will gently radiate its energy to the occupants of
the building in a low intensity, comfortable, efficient
- The slab can also passively absorb energy from the daytime
sun and distribute it at night, reducing the amount of purchased
The slab is always warmer than the soil and crushed
- Thus moisture migrates downward and away from the building.
- The warm slab also inhibits static electricity and dust
- Dust is further reduced when filtering the incoming and
any re-circulated air.
Warm air can be blown through the slab immediately
after it is poured using a construction heater allowing extension
of the construction season.
- The slab dries out quickly.
- Breeding places for moulds and fungi never occur.
All functions of the system are controlled by simple
wall mounted controls.
- All mechanical components, including the single moving
part (the fan), are contained within the furnace box, which
sits flush with the slab surface and is easily accessible.